Cooking time: 1hr maytake more or less time depending on temperature of your hob)
Without toppings, this is a simple, mildly cinammon flavoured rice pudding. Once the sweet raisins, fragrant saffron, and aromatic ground cinammon and cardamom are added to the top, it is a decadent and fragrant dish.
It took me a few attempts to get this right, and I found that it worked best by adding the spices and dried fruits at the end.
I read lots of recipes for this dish, as well as researching the common spices used in Egyptian cuisine to help me come up with my final recipe.
- 100g pudding rice
- 200ml plant milk (I used oat milk)
- 200ml water
- 3tsp sugar
- 1tsp rose water
- 1 cinammon stick
- 1 cardamom pod
Suggested toppings; (choose all, some, or toppings of your own)
- Chopped almonds
- Powdered cinammon
- Ground cardamom
- Toasted coconut
- Add the rice, milk, water, sugar, rose water, cinammon and cardamom pod to a saucepan
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer
- Simmer on the lowest heat on your hob with a lid on, so that the rice pudding cooks slowly. This will allow the cinammon and cardamom time to infuse their flavour
- Cook slowly in this way, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked. Add more water if it becomes too dry
- Once cooked, serve into individual bowls and top with dried fruit, nuts and/or spices, and sugar to taste.