Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 2-3hrs
You will need: a slow cooker
This is a deliciously simple rice dish is so tasty and satisfying. Its spicy, filling and the smell while its cooking so divine!I served it with a vegan chicken substitute, roasted veg and salad and some roasted beans with chilli
- 300g uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Half a tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 red peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 medium-sized red onions, chopped
- Half a Scotch bonnet pepper
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 2tbsp tomato paste
- 1 heaped tsp Carribean or Jamaican-style curry powder
- 0.5tsp dried thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1tsp vegan butter
- In a blender or with a hand blender, blend the tinned tomatoes, red peppers, garlic, half of the chopped onion, and scotch bonnet chilli to a smooth mixture
Add the tomato paste, curry powder, thyme and bay leaves to the frying onions and fry for 2 minutes.
- In a pan or wok, heat oil and remainder of the onion. Fry for a minute until it starts to softenAdd the tomato paste, curry powder, thyme and bay leaves to the frying onions and fry for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the blended tomato and chilli mixture and cook on a medium heat until it is reduce in size by half and is like a thick sauce; this will take 5-10 minutes
- Add this to your slow cooker, add the rice, and the litre of stock and stir well.
- Add the butter to the top
- Set the cooker to high and leave to cook with the lid in.
- Stir occassionally (every 30 minutes or so) and add more water if it becomes dry
- When the rice is cooked through, serve with roasted veg, salad, beans or roast tofu (this is not meant to be a saucy dish)