This is a really easy recipe for a nut roast/vegan meatloaf. The photos are not flattering as lets be honest, its a brown square, but it tastes lovely, and has a nice soft texture.
You will need a food processor to chop up the ingredients
Cooking time is 1hr but prep time is only about 20mins or less
I have used 3 different types of nuts, as they all have different flavours and nutrients. Hazelnuts are a good source of vitamin E and manganese. Brazil nuts are a good source of magnesium. Cashew nuts are a good source of copper and zinc.
In this recipe you will need Granovita mushroom pate . I got mine in Co-op, but I have also bought it in tescos before, and I think I’ve seen it in Asda. It’s worth seeking out, not just for this recipe. It’s delicious on toast!!
- 160g cooked mushrooms or tinned mushrooms
- 1 tin beans of your choice (I used black beans)
- Quarter of onion
- 3 small or 2 large garlic cloves
- 30g cashews, 30g hazelnuts and 40g Brazil nuts (or 100g nuts of your choice)
- 1tin Granovita mushroom pate
- 1tbsp mixed herbs
- 1tbsp stock powder or 2 crumbled stock cubes
- 1.5tbsp savoury yeast flakes
- 4tbsp chickpea flour
- In a food processor chop the mushrooms, nuts, onion, garlic and beans into a fine mince like mixture
- Put the mix in a large bowl
- Add the herbs, stock powder, yeast flakes, some black pepper and the whole tin of mushroom pate. Mix together well
- Add the 4tbsp chickpea flour and mix in well
- Add the mix to a loaf tin lined with non stick baking parchment
- Cook at 170C for 1hr
- Serve with your favourite veg and mash or roast potatoes and gravy