Chilli is a classic dish, which is quick and easy to whip up. This is my interpretation.
When eating vegan it is important to eat a range of protein sources across the day to get as many different amino acids as possible. In this recipe there are 3 different types of pulses and I served it with brown rice, which are all sources of protein.
Getting iron is also something important to think about and you will absorb more iron from your food if you eat it alongside vitamin C. Lentils and beans are good sources of iron, and the tomatoes, peppers and lemon in the recipe will help maximise absorption.
This recipe can also be served with tacos, in tortillas, with nachos, with salad or veg…so it is versatile
It’s particularly delicious topped with coconut yoghurt and jalapenos
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinammon stick
- 1tsp medium spice dried chilli flakes (or equivalent amount of fresh chilli – add more if u like extra spice)
- 1tsp mashed/chopped garlic
- 2tsp mashed/chopped ginger
- 3tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp paprika
- 1.5tsp ground cumin
- 2tsp mixed herbs
- 2tsp stock powder/2 stock cubes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 200ml passata
- 2 peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 200g mushroom, sliced
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 4 tbsp dried red lentils
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1 tin of other bean of your choice. (I used black beans)
- Add a tbsp or so of oil to a pan and turn on the heat. Add the cinammon, cumin seeds, chilli, garlic and ginger, and fry for 30 seconds
- Add the onion, pepper and mushrooms and stirfry for a further 4-5 minutes until the onions and peppers start to soften
- Add the other spices (ground cumin, paprika, smoked paprika, mixed herbs) and stock and mix into veg
- Add the lentils and beans, 1tbsp tomato puree, tin of tomatoes, 200ml of passata and 300ml of water and stir well
- Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer with the lid on for 25-30 minutes. Stir every few minutes to make sure the lentils don’t stick to the bottom. If it becomes too dry, add more water
- After 30 mins, or when the lentils ate cooked, add the lemon juice, some ground pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Serve with rice and with toppings of your choice