My secret recipe for sweet and sour sauce. Its not bright pink or really sweet, but its much healthier and the flavour is much fresher than from a jar or takeaway.
Its made from fresh fruit and chinese spices, and has much less sugar and salt than a takeaway version. It has a fresh orange fruity flavour, with lovely aniseed undertones. Plus its really simple to make!
I’ve just given the recipe for the sauce here, so you can add it to whatever stirfry that you like. I sometimes add it to crispy roasted cauliflower, which is sooo good! (I am obsessed with roast cauliflower dishes)
In a pan mix together:
- juice of 2 large oranges
- juice of 3 limes
- 2 small or one large sliced or chopped garlic clove
- 1 large tsp chopped or mashed ginger
- 2 star anises
- 5 cloves
- 2 tbsp white sherry
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 large tsp / 1 crumbled cube of stock
(If you like spice, add half a chopped chilli)
- Heat til it comes to the boil, then turn down and simmer. Stir occasionally.
- Simmer until reduced by about a third
- Fish out the star anise and cloves.
- If its not as thick as you would like, slowly add cornflour mixed into cold water, mixing all the time.
- Add a tbsp of the mixture, mix until it stops thickening.
- If not thick enough, add a tbsp more….And so on until its the consistency you like.
- Add to your favourite stirfry, and enjoy